Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Last To Know...

So...I truly am the last to know on this one.  After a ton of emails with questions about my Sliding Screen Door,  I decided to investigate.  Unbeknownst to me, this sweet little charmer was featured as one of the "13 Country Chic Ways to Use Screen Doors"  at,  check it here!
(I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't flattered!)

Now, for the questions!

How did I secure the bottom of the door?

Barn Doors hang, so the bottom can just tip outward.  If you have a dog who likes to let himself out, he may just figure this out, quickly.  After dealing with this for about a week, I ordered this and screwed it into the deck.  I only used one and the door slides nicely against the slider frame at the base.

Find it at amazon here.

How did I close the gaps along the sides and top?
Lucky for me, the top does not have a gap, it slides right along the edge of the house.  As for the edge, this was trial and error.  Lucky for you, I found what worked best was a weather stripping kit from Lowes.  It's basically a piece of wood trim with plastic foam padding attached along one side.  I trimmed it to size, painted the wood white,  and nailed it along the left side of the door (the side opposite the opening).  The wood was the exact width of the door and the foam pad slides against the glass on the sliding door, creating a bug-barrier.  This is not in the picture, I took the picture first, sorry!
Find it here

After that I thought I was done, until the windy Fall weather picked up and the door would slide right open by itself!  Once again, Amazon Prime to the rescue.  I ordered a door magnet kit and screwed that in place; one part on the interior of the screen door, the other is screwed to the door frame outside. Life is good.

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Review: Ikea Stocksund

Miss me?  I miss blogging and sharing- but life has been busy...

I promised a review of the Ikea couches, so here it is.  My sofas are from the Stocksund Collection and we have had them for almost a year now.  Our family room has very little wall space and needed plenty of seating that was small enough for the walls we do have.  

We purchased two of the loveseats, one side chair, the ottoman, and bench.

The Highlights:

  • The sofas are comfy, I'd say a 4 out of 5.
  • Wide choice of colors 
  • Washable, zip-close, cushion and arm covers
  • Choice of foot color-dark or light
  • The bench has storage (toys, blankets, etc.)
  • Nicely priced


  • Can't reverse the lower seat cushions
  • Not stain resistant
  • Legs loosen easily (maybe it's the jumping kids)

Overall, I would say they've held up great, considering we have had a lot of traffic on these babies!  I let the kids eat on them and of course the dog sleeps up there once in a while ;)

Since my purchase, Ikea added a red velvety cover and I WANT these for winter, if only on the chair... 

Saturday, June 6, 2015

DIY Fireplace Surround

The fireplace installation took a detour once I injured my knee, and I had to put off the crown molding and finishing touches.  I'm showing how it turned out, although it isn't flawless, that's for sure, I'm so pleased with the end result and I love how it looks next to my staircase redo!  I am just a little bit proud that I did the whole surround, mantle, hearth, and crown with my own two hands!!
Last Winter, we opted to buy new furniture because our sectional ("Big Brown") didn't fit anymore once the fireplace went in, but oh how I miss her :(  
This tiny set was new to Ikea this Fall, it's part of the Stocksund collection.
We went with cheap because of the five kids and the dog. ( Okay, really it's because I change stuff too often to invest in anything pricey). 

This is where I left off before my knee surgery...  
My fireplace was the never-ending-story.  I couldn't get the darn thing finished thanks to my torn ACL and the fact that I HATE to do crown molding.  I slapped up some of the trim and really didn't care about how imperfect it was,  and I actually had to get this done because it I knew it would be months before I could climb a ladder again.

I needed to attach the crown molding across the front of the fireplace- here's the pre-crown shot (complete with dry wall mud all over the ceiling).

Since I stink at lining up the corners, and in this case I discovered that our house is really, really crooked, I decided to attach the corners before I hung the crown. as if I were trimming a piece of furniture.
I found that this technique worked a bit better and looks good enough for us.

  And because I spent the greater part of a 10 day stretch, laid up on the sofa, across from this very fireplace, in a post-op stupor, using my continuous movement machine like a good little patient, I enjoyed the view so much that I thought I would share the finished project!

It's closure people...
Thanks for looking!