Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

$20.00 Vintage Sliding Door - part 2




I wanted to share the finished laundry room door, because it's a looker and I smile every time I go near it, which is fifty times a day.  Okay, so maybe it's not really vintage, but it looks like it is.  
Don't have an old door?  Make one.


As a recap, I wrapped the old louvered door with pine boards and popped out the upper section of louvers to make room to install the fake glass, you can check that out here.  I finally stained the door and it looks just like the one I made up in my head.  I used a stain/poly combo in Mahogany and didn't focus on sanding and smoothing because I wanted this to look old.   
I have to say it is very heavy, and if I had proper wood working tools, I wouldn't have attached the wood to the old door.  Since I don't own anything more powerful than a miter box and saw, I did it my way.  Mistakes... I've made a few.  (Sorry, Sinatra fans, I had too).  So until the door falls apart or the track falls off the wall (whichever comes first)  it's staying like this!
This project inspired me to solve a screen door problem, I'll post that tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!